Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Goals for the Year

The Corporate bean counters have once again published goals for the year. Last year it took me most of the year just to meet goal. It was a tense few months being pressured to reach goal. In the end, making or missing goal has something to do with our Safety and Theft Metrics, and as a result, relates to the Risk Level each store is assigned.

So I was reviewing my numbers the other day and found this interesting...

Goals for 2010: 10 Shoplifters
2 Employee Apprehensions

Last year I ended with 20 Shoplifters and 4 Employee Apprehesnions, so I am not sure how they set their goals. Was business supposed to be cut in half this year?

It is June 2010.

I have 8 Shoplifters and 2 Employee Apprehensions already.

Unfortunately, the one statistic which stands out the most to me is the one where I am told I get no raise because it's not in the budget, and I'm not eligible for the promotion I was being recommended for by two District Managers.

Doesn't exactly fire up the adrenaline to go apprehend someone and possibly be maced or assaulted over an Avatar DVD.

But something tells me I will do my best to sit and sulk in my office, until I happen to see the next idiot trying to steal something and for some reason I will run out there and jump in his way and take my chances on how it will end up. Sometimes, I wonder, who is the bigger idiot. The guy who has planned out a theft, or the guy who has no idea what state of mind the thief is in, what weapons he is carrying, or how many black belts he has earned, but still gets in front of him to try and stop him.

I wonder.

My new Goal for 2010: Not get my ass kicked over a video game.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you don't work for my company? I love the goal thing. Thats like the top subject at every manager seminar no matter what industry.
    They kept asking me one time, for my goals, I said my goal is not to let the boat sink. My captain said thats not what they had in mind.
    I thought it's a pretty good goal.
    Corporate BS is frustrating, hang in there.
    And don't get your ass kicked over Avatar. Its not THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goals!! Hrmph!! Wonder what goals they have for themselves?? Wonder what BP's goal was for this year? Ha!
    And I agree with Mark...don't get your ass kicked this year or any other year!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete