Monday, June 21, 2010

Sometimes you want to recover the merchandise...other times, you don't!

I noticed a Korean or Japanese grandfather and his granddaughter enter the store and wander off toward the apparel section. I really paid them no mind. I continued meandering about the store looking for more suspicious folk. Unfortunately, I saw none. I wandered back around toward the apparel section and cut through the jewelery and cosmetics area, when what to my incredible peripheral vision does appear...the grandfather and granddaughter bent over in one of the cosmetics aisles. I turn down the next aisle and check them out in the overhead mirror. I really couldn't believe it, but the little girl was holding a mirror out while it was still hanging from the hook, while the old man was bent over using scissors, from that aisle, to trim his nose hairs. That's right... he was using scissors, he had just taken from a package, to clip his nose hairs, right there in the aisle! And the little girl was kind enough to help by holding the mirror up for him.

Once he was done his grooming, he tossed the scissors back onto the opened package on the bottom shelf, and took the little girl's hand, and walked off as if nothing was wrong. I walked into the aisle and picked up the USED scissors, tucked them into the torn package, and slippeed them into my back pocket. I took them to the front desk for a price check. $6.99. Really a borderline price when deciding whether to go through the whole apprehension deal. Technically, I could do it. Was it worth apprehending and going through all of the paperwork, what would we do with the little girl? Does he even understand English? All of these questions swarmed about my brain as I watched them tour the store with no apparent mission.

The two finally made their way toward the front door, and I sped up to approach them.

"Excuse me sir.."

He kept walking to the door.

"Sir, excuse me!"

He glanced over his shoulder as he opened the door. I motioned for him to come back to me away from the door.

"Do you understand English?" (crickets)
"Do you understand what I am saying?" (more crickets)

The man walked over to the front desk as I was still trying to talk. I tapped him on the shoulder and waved him back to me.

"Listen to me, I am talking, not them." He smiled, and shook his head.

"Can you understand me, or what I am saying right now?" He stared with a smile and a slight shake of the head. I took out the torn package of scissors from my back pocket, pushed it into his chest and pointed to the front desk.

"Pay for these." I had a feeling he understood more than he was letting on, and I was done trying to communicate.

He shook his head with a big smile..."Okay, Okay.."

He shook my hand and bowed to me, apologizing in his own strange, embarrassed way. He paid, grabbed the girl's little hand, and walked out of the store.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is totally weird! A man comes into the store to trim his nose hairs? Now I think I have heard everything!!!! HA!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete